Success! New York Bans Shark Fins Unanimously
New York has taken a step towards stopping our species from eliminating sharks from the oceans: the state legislature has voted unanimously to ban the sale and distribution of shark fins, the central ingredient in shark fin soup.Maryland beat New York to the punch as the first East Coast state to ban trade in shark fins, adopting the law on May 2, 2013. This side of the country has lagged behind the West Coast, all of which has banned shark fins, as have Hawaii, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands. Even landlocked Illinois is shark-fin-free. Momentum seems to be growing to kill the finning industry.
One reason for the hubbub is that killing sharks for soup has wiped out such large percentages of the fish that some species are now endangered and others close to it. According to Sea Shepherd, “many sharks take up to fifteen years to reach maturity and then produce only one shark pup per year. Such a fragile and slow reproduction rate means that their populations may never recover from the damage we have already inflicted.”
The other reason is the horror-show methods fishermen use to get the fins. As I described the process here last year, ”fishermen catch the animal and drag it aboard the boat, hack off its fin muscles, then throw it back into the sea,” unable to move normally and certain to die. They “drown, bleed to death or are eaten alive by predators after this mutilation.”
The common fear of sharks is largely unfounded. As Sea Shepherd points out, ”Every year humans slaughter over 100 million sharks. No more than 12 people a year are killed by sharks worldwide. In fact [it] is more dangerous to play golf than to swim in the ocean with sharks. More golfers are struck by lightning and killed each year than the total number of shark fatalities. Many more humans are struck and killed by boats every year than are attacked by sharks.”
New York City is one of the largest markets for shark fins outside of Asia. New Yorker Patrick Kwan of the Humane Society of the United States, who has been advocating for the ban, pointed out to the Village Voice that “every Asian-American lawmaker in the legislature and on City Council stood in full support of the ban. ‘They are not only supporting, but they are also leading the effort.’”
Perhaps the tide is turning in sharks’ favor.
pretty sure they sell shark fin soup at full house in
What the World Needs Now
These kittens are looking for homes in Los Angeles! Please reblog this or e-mail me at email@example.com !
Questions I Want Answered
1. Is there a way to go pro when it comes to fostering kittens? Is there some kind of league I can join where you get endorsements and sponsorships? Because I’d really like to be pro and full time on that.
2. Will the Keystone XL pipeline get built or won’t it? Will it rupture?
3. Are all the people that I admire from afar actually jerks?
4. Is it better to go to something and complain about how awful it is and still have a good time or is it better to go to something and say you’re having a great time and then hate being there on the inside?
5. Do you think you’re better off alone? Talk to me.
6. Could I work out really a lot and become really sexy and then become a porn star and go go boy and still be happy and not somehow fucked up inside due to the exhibition of my body and I would make money by having sex and would that be fun?
7. Is RuPaul’s Drag Race really just a flawless show or is it homogenizing gay culture or are all the people that say it’s homogenizing gay culture just too cool for school?
Million Dollar Pussy- Nicki Minaj
music video by Johnnie JungleGuts
please reblog this! Need to find these kittens homes! E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org!